Great question btw!

Ant is xml-based target driven build environment
each task(s) corresponds to a particular piece of build functionality such as
jsp-compile,compile,jar,war or ear
which must be completed in order so that the web-application (war) or
application enterprise app (ear) can deploy
Currently ant has no capability (and just as soon as I say this someone could
release a new jar with these functions) to
define repositories (offline/online)
no ability to interface to 'the build system' thru a predefined plugin interface
The biggest challenge i found with ant is no ability to handle version specific
build environment configurations
e.g.
fu.jar needs to be 1.0
bar.jar needs to be 1.1
fubar.jar needs fu.jar (1.0 version) and bar.jar (1.1 version) to work
properly..

Anyone?
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.

http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008