Jeff,

> From my experience, using RELEASE as a version identifier
> works for any kinds of artifacts given the fact that you
> should have install or deployed the artifact using the
> parameter updateReleaseInfo to true.

Thanks. That's very helpful! I was about to complain it does not work -
but first I need to fix somethings it seems.

You also made me go look in the metadata.xml and it turns out our
qualifiers or our build process might be messing things up.
I have to check if we're using deploy or install too (if install what we
use for -DupdateReleaseInfo= I'm guess it's not set).
The metadata version hasn't changed in 5 releases.

By chance have you used it for parent version?

We're planning to put a "real" version in as late (late binding) as
possible using a custom release plugin to save the dev's from the hassle
updating a couple of hundered projects everytime we do something to the
corporate build pom.