I want to be able to pass parameters to the plugin to specify that my next
development version should be X.Y+1.0-SNAPSHOT -- I can pass the value in... I just can't seem to figure out how.

I'm not familiar with the command-line options to specify the next-version parameters. But as I remember, the default suggested version is the latest version with the most specific number specified. That is, if you are releasing 3.4, it will suggest 3.5. but if you are releasing 3.4.0, it will suggest 3.4.1. Perhaps that tidbit will be useful?

- John