I'm afraid that I wasn't entirely clear...  I will run the branch goal from
the trunk using a pom with a version of 3.5.0-SNAPSHOT.  It (correctly)
creates a branch of the appropriate number (because I passed in the name).
But then it tries to update the working copy pom on the trunk to
3.5.1-SNAPSHOT -- I need it to be 3.6.0-SNAPSHOT.  So, yes, it is behaving
exactly as you said.  Alas, I'm totally stuck with the 3-digit system.  I
just want to tell the plugin which version to use for the next LOCAL
version.

Thanks for your input!