Are you suggesting that our CI server performs a 'mvn release' nightly? From
the documentation that you linked to it seems like this is not intended to
be an automated process, as there are several steps that prompt the user for
information. I assume that you can provide this information on the command
line?

Regardless of this issue, what is standard practice in this situation? We
want a CI server to use maven to produce regular versioned builds of a
project that is a dependency of other projects. Is there something about
this that doesn't fin in the maven philosophy?

Thanks.

Matthew Jaskula
t +1 212.542.8299

> From: Wayne Fay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 16:35:01 -0800
> To: Maven Users List <users@maven.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: How can maven be used in a continuous integration situation?
>
>> The problem with this method is that the maven install plugin only uses the
>> version in the pom file, not the version passed in on the command line. This
>> is noted in [this maven issue][1].
>
> If you use "mvn release" rather than simply "mvn install", this is
> handled for you via the release plugin. Since you are literally
> "cutting a release", I think this is appropriate anyway.
>
> "mvn install" only installs the artifacts in the local repo cache.
> "mvn release" does a lot more.
>
> You probably want to use the batch mode:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-release-plugin/howto.html
>
> Wayne

Visit our website at http://www.nyse.com

Note:  The information contained in this message and any attachment
to it is privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately by replying to the message, and please delete
it from your system. Thank you.  NYSE Euronext, Inc.