Well, first of all, maybe you should get a CI server? (unless you have one?)I
would recommend continuum
(http://continuum.apache.org)<http://continuum.apache.org/> at
least to get started and then things will probably clear up...

No, usually the CI server does not generate releases every night, it usually
does deploy (but this is configurable in continuum) on the project which
will uploade the snapshot to the snapshot repository.
A remark, here: continuuum only generates a build if there are any
changes... and it checks for changes regularly (by default hourly)