> - change <version> from "1.4" to "snapshot"
> - every build I make, will be stored in the Archiva SNAPSHOTS repository
> - the snapshot is stored with a date suffix, to see differences
> between the builds

The first bit is not entirely correct.
- Change version from 1.4 to 1.4.1-SNAPSHOT, or 1.5-SNAPSHOT, or
2.0-SNAPSHOT if you prefer (anything "larger" than 1.4 will suffice,
but simply "snapshot" is a bad idea)
The choice of 1.4.1 vs 1.5 vs 2.0 depends on how much your codebase is
expected to change. A simple bugfix will generally just trigger a
1.4.1 while a bigger change will bump to 1.5 and a very large change
will trigger 2.0.

Wayne