Yes, Maven has a mecanism used to get the latest version of the plugin
assumed the latest has been registered. I think this is stored in the Maven
metadata (XML file) of the plugin artifact. If you did not change your Maven
configuration (settings, repository), I don't understand why it is not
working anymore.

Regards
Jeff MAURY