Okay, my mistake - although it was indeed the 2.1.0 mvn which was in my
path, I had forgotten to change the value of my M2_HOME environment
variable.

Therefore, it was actually 2.0.10 which was being executed, which was why my
goal was being ignored.

And anyway, I had wrongly assumed that adding the '@phase prepare-package'
annotation to the mojo was enough to trigger the goal's execution - you
confirm that this works fine.

Many thanks to Brett for asistance.

Rob