ok, I have narrowed the problem down as probably a maven issue.

I have parent.pom and two modules client and server. Client is a war
and server is a jar. server needs to get hold of client's source
because db4o needs the source for both the client and server (to
configure it for each java.class it will store).

I have the following dep in server.pom
       <dependency>
            <groupId>com.musmato</groupId>
            <artifactId>client.war</artifactId>
            <version>1.0</version>
            <type>war</type>
            <scope>compile</scope>
        </dependency>

But when I run mvn clean install on the parent, I can see it build the
client.war, pop it in the local mvn repo and then the server build
fails to find any of the depedency code.

Any ideas? Should this work? I assume it is pretty normal to share
code between different maven projects?? Even if one of them is a war?

Cheers,