Hi Pieter,

you could use a project layout like this

+--project
   +--shared
   +--client
   +--server

A few quick remarks

+) the server part should not depend on the client or the other way
round - therefore a common subproject
+) sharing in Maven speak means installing the shared component library
into the local repository and reference it from the dependent project
+) with a little bit of tinkering you can also upload the sources into
your local repository

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

PS: Not sure if NetBeans is a good choice considering that Oracle buys Sun