Hi Barrie,

Barrie Treloar wrote at Mittwoch, 29. April 2009 09:03:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>> Arnaud HERITIER wrote at Donnerstag, 16. April 2009 10:42:
>>
>>> Hi Community,
>>> The recent release 2.6 of the maven-eclipse-plugin created many problems
>>> for all of those who had/wanted to store non-java files under src/*/java
>>> (which is required for wicket, ajdt, and probably others usecases).
>>> Even we have many integration tests in this plugin we didn't notice this
>>> issue because our testcases allow us to check that generated
>>> configuration files aren't evolving and that we are able to import and
>>> use a project in eclipse (too heavy to do).
>>
>> Regarding the new classpath ordering invented with 2.6, can you please
>> comment again in MECLIPSE-544 for my proposal (I mention it here, since
>> the issue is already closed). A classpath order like
>>
>> src/test/resource
>> src/main/java
>> src/test/java
>> src/main/resource
>>
>> Will solve also the test "resources first" problem. Since Eclipse will
>> complain anyway if you have to classes with the same name in
>> src/main/java and src/test/java, their order does not really matter for
>> Eclipse projects.
>
> What is wrong with having a classpath that matches Maven?

Because every developer I've seen using the new plugin immediately thinks
something is broken after refreshing the IDE. And when you explain them the
situation, most of them moan about opening always the wrong node looking
for the code. Actually, it is confusing, since Maven projects are now even
more alienated in Eclipse as usual.

> Since "mvn test" will fail with a different error than Eclipse with
> your suggestion.

Not really. It simply means that you created a situation (class files with
same name in target/classes and target/test-classes) that is always
reported as error in Eclipse and it does not matter which path comes first
in this situation. In contrast will Maven simply compile, possibly even run
the tests and actually behaves therefore always different. For an own test
simply create a class Foo in src/main/java and interface Foo in
src/test/java.

Therefore I'd rather like to have my generated .classpath file to match what
I'm used since years. I'd be willing to change my habits if there's
actually a necessity, but obviously it is not.

- Jörg