Hi Max,

2009/5/20 Max Bowsher <m...@mxtelecom.com>:
> Investigate the possibility that .java *source* files corresponding to
> those classes somehow exist in one of your dependency jar files. I've
> occasionally encountered weirdness where in such a circumstance, those
> .java files can get compiled into target/classes as well.

And that seems to have been exactly it. The JAR gwt-user-1.6.4.jar
contains a large number of source files and it's these that seem to
have been compiled into the target/classes directory. I've fixed it by
repacking that jar file and verified with a mvn clean compile that the
javax/ directory has not been recreated.

I would be interested to find out how it is that source files
ostensibly on the classpath (and not the source-path) are being
compiled into target/classes. Have I missed something here?

Best wishes and thanks very much to you and Wayne for your help.

Mike