Our group does release engineering and we have a Jave project that gets build
every night.  Our java source code and lib jars are checked into CVS. Every
night we do a sync and build. As a Java developer, I have a hard time
managing/upgrading my Java libs. In the process of switching to Maven, I
have to convince my team that Maven is the right tool to use. But many
concerns have been raised. For example:

- What if the central repo goes down? We'll end up with broken builds and
the QEs will go crazy at us!
- Ok, so we can have proxies, but then we have to maintain them. Lots of
work.
- Not checked into CVS??? That's not good. Not comfortable without having a
complete set of artifacts in a SAFE place. Not comfortable!
- Your pom.xml only shows those dependencies your project is directed
dependent upon. Fine. But what about all other dependencies that your
dependencies depend upon? Know who they, get them and put in CVS!!

Not sure if any of you have encountered these challenges. Please give me
some suggestions.