See below for my comments.

-Dave

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:50 PM, scabbage <guans...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Our group does release engineering and we have a Jave project that gets
> build
> every night.  Our java source code and lib jars are checked into CVS. Every
> night we do a sync and build. As a Java developer, I have a hard time
> managing/upgrading my Java libs. In the process of switching to Maven, I
> have to convince my team that Maven is the right tool to use. But many
> concerns have been raised. For example:
>
> - What if the central repo goes down? We'll end up with broken builds and
> the QEs will go crazy at us!

[dh] Not likely.  We use the open source Artifactory maven proxy so you will
only ever download something once.  Not much of a concern, now its your job
to keep your server up.

> - Ok, so we can have proxies, but then we have to maintain them. Lots of
> work.

[dh] No, very little work.  Set it up and is very little maintenance.  You
can even configure it to create exports of all artifacts for backup.

> - Not checked into CVS??? That's not good. Not comfortable without having a
> complete set of artifacts in a SAFE place. Not comfortable!

[dh] Artifactory can be just as safe as CVS.

> - Your pom.xml only shows those dependencies your project is directed
> dependent upon. Fine. But what about all other dependencies that your
> dependencies depend upon? Know who they, get them and put in CVS!!

[dh] They are all in your proxy as well as developer repos, not to worry.

> Not sure if any of you have encountered these challenges. Please give me
> some suggestions.

[dh] These are the easy problems.