Wayne, thanks for the suggestions.  I did not find anything in my ~/.m2 that
contained servicemix.org except for the problematic jars that contained
javascript/html instead of the pom.xml. I also ran a "mvn help:effective-pom"
and did not see servicemix.org.

When I changed <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf> to <mirrorOf>external:*</mirrorOf>
in my settings.xml, I was able to download the jars that had been a problem. I
get the same results if I use <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf>.  (This seems to have
fixed my original problem.)

My new problem with the <mirrorOf>external:*</mirrorOf> is that I can no longer
access any of my local repositories except for thirdparty.

My guess is that one of my local repository names conflicts with another
repository. My local repository names are:
  internal
  thirdparty
  ga
  snapshots

I'm guessing that I had a problem with these jars because one of our local
repositories has a conflict with the repositoryId (which is why it was looking
for servicemix.org):
  commons-pool-1.2
  commons-pool-1.3
  geronimo--jta_1.1_spec
  howl-1.0.1-1
  slf4j-api-1.4.3
  xerces-2.0.2

Can anyone confirm my guess about conflicting repositoryId's?