It is a large multi-module build (the struts2 build, in fact) and a
quick glance/grep through poms didn't yield any obvious entries
pointing to download.java.net, but I will dig further tomorrow. I
noticed the same thing at my office recently and I did get around it
by using nexus. I just wasn't sure if it was my build or if others had
noticed that artifacts weren't where maven was looking.

-Wes

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Barrie Treloar<baerr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Wes Wannemacher<w...@wantii.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Lately I have noticed that while building, maven is downloading its
>> dependencies, but once in a while, an artifact will come over
>> incorrectly (I suspect a bad mirror somewhere). For instance, if I
>> look at the contents of
>> ~/.m2/repository/cglib/cglib-full/2.0.2/cglib-full-2.0.2.jar I see -
>>
>> cat /home/wesw/.m2/repository/cglib/cglib-full/2.0.2/cglib-full-2.0.2.jar
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
>> <title>301 Moved Permanently</title>
>> </head><body>
>> <h1>Moved Permanently</h1>
>> href="http://download.java.net/maven/2/cglib/cglib-full/2.0.2/cglib-full-2.0.2.jar";>here</a>.</p>
>> <hr>
>> <address>Apache Server at maven2-repository.dev.java.net Port 443</address>
>>
>> It is helpful that they tell me where to find it, but how can I make
>> maven understand that?
>
> Do you have multiple <repository>s defined in your pom?
>
> I can download
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/cglib/cglib-full/2.0.2/cglib-full-2.0.2.jar
> fine.
>
> However if I go to http://download.java.net/maven/2/cglib/cglib/ you
> can see there is only one version 2.2_beta1/ (and no cglib-full at
> all)
>
> I suspect that you have included another repository that is claiming
> to have that artifact - when in fact it doesn't.
> It is very bad for a repository to delete or move an artifact.
>
> You may be able to get around this by fixing your <repository> declarations.
> You may be able to get around this by using a repository manager like
> archiva or nexus.
>
> Good luck.

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice