It scans through your project's dependencies, looks for licenses
definitions, and tries to download them (based on given license URL) into a
destination you designate via outputDirectory parameter (defaults to
${project.build.directory}/licenses). It can do the license
scanning/downloading quietly (defaults to false), not to report warnings if
license can not be found or downloaded. To automatically embed downloaded
licenses into your jar or war you can use build helper plugin or assembly
plugin - wish jar/war plugins were enough.

As already stated, problem is that many library vendors don't include the
license info in artefact pom's, but also many include it in their own
special way, so you will e.g. get multiple differently named Apache 2
licenses, invalid URL's, or BSD license template library vendor failed to
customize, ...

Regards,
Stevo.