[http://day-to-day-stuff.blogspot.com/2007/10/announcement-version-99-does-not-exist.html

>> That is your problem. What this does is mess the dependency-tree. It
>> removes commons-logging from the dependency tree because that
>> version "99.0-..." is larger than the latest current release of
>> commons-logging.  The "99.0-..." version should *never ever* reach
>> end users. It can *only* be used by internal project.
>
> Thanks for the input.  Are you saying that the dependency of the
> hibernate-ehcache POM on commons-logging 99.0-does-not-exist is a bug?

It's an inappropriate solution for their problem with commons-logging.

> I'm sympathetic to that view, but I just want to be sure.  To be sure,
> it seems foolish for the Hibernate developers to put something like
> this in a library's POM, since it would seem to impose their kludge
> on the programmer using the library.

At least you should report this as a bug, since it actually breaks your
build. They should get at least aware or if.

> Of course, we fixed our particular problem by adding an <exclusion>
> for commons-logging from our hibernate-ehcache dependency.

You can declare commons-logging in a dependency management section. This
version and scope will have precedence over any transitive dep.

- Jörg