I don't think there is a "secret". Receipt of the notification is *purely* via
SMS. Which means that Mbuni hasn't even kicked in yet. Basically MMS reception
at the network works like this: The operator MMSC checks (HLR, whatever) if
receiving subscriber's device is MMS-capable.  If not, subscriber receive SMS
(as you have done). This is the important bit. Typically the operator can flag
your account so MMS is *always* sent to you as MMS, whether or not your device
is known to support MMS.

P.