I had the same problem but wasn't able to fix it. The thing I wanted to do is to have multiple columns of radiobuttons and checkboxes. I ended up coding a new component and renderer called selectOneRadio and selectManyCheckbox with an extra called "columns". You can download the source from http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsf-comp/ .

greetings
Jan