I do this normaly by using a bean which has access to the radio button
values and provides the action method implementation as you mentioned.

So you have:

rootbean.radio1, rootbean.radio2 ... properties and
rootbean.processAction for the action binding. The implementation is
quite easy and requires only a single bean.

Mathias