I am trying to use the rendered attribute to decide whether to display an "insert" button or a "save" button (in reality they will end up both saying just save, but the action associated with them is different). Here is how I have the buttons set up:

<h:commandButton type="submit" id="insert" value="INSERT THIS EMPLOYEE" action="#{employeeAction.insertAction}" rendered="#{not employeeAction.editMode}"/>

<h:commandButton type="submit" id="update" value="#{msgs.save}" action="#{employeeAction.updateAction}" rendered="#{employeeAction.editMode}"/>

The buttons render exactly as expected - Insert button shows up when it's an insert being done, save being shown when it's an update. The poblem is I have no idea why the "insertAction" method is not firing when I use the rendered attribute! If I remove rendered so that I have...

<h:commandButton type="submit" id="insert" value="INSERT THIS EMPLOYEE" action="#{employeeAction.insertAction}" />

inertAction will fire just fine.

What has me more stumped is that the updateAction *does* work fine with the rendered attribute. What is causing the insertAction to be messed up when I use 'rendered' ?

--
Rick