When you get this all figured out, could you create a MyFaces wiki entry on it?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who will eventually need to do something
similar, and it'd be great if we could get it documented somewhere!

As you mentioned, there's a lot of attempts to provide this with mixed
results, and it'd be good to have something that's known to work.