Warren Bell wrote:
I would like to just add another value for an existing property. I have
extended the renderer for the messages component. Now I just need the
component to use that renderer. And the component to pass to the renderer
the new property value. The property is layout and its accepted values are
table|list. I want to add 'text' as an additional value. I have included
this new value in my new class.

Dang. I didn't read carefully enough. Sorry. As the "layout" attribute already exists, you can completely ignore my most recent reply :-(

Yes all you need in the jsp page is:
  <t:messages layout="text">
and to configure a new renderer as my first reply showed.

Looks to me like your new renderer will just need to reimplement this inherited method (copy/paste/edit):
    protected void renderMessages(FacesContext facesContext,
                                  UIComponent messages)
and add a call to the "renderText" method when layout matches.

Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Simon