Uri Kalish wrote:

Hi Jurgen,

We, at Mercury, are currently developing a new JSF/Java product planned to be released at the end of this year, and we're looking for a view similar to the Outlook Calendar.

We prefer not to use ActiveX control or Java applet, so that leaves us with JSF component or some HTML/_javascript_ solution. With the exception of the JSF Schedule component, all the other solutions I've seen are ugly, including Microsoft's HTML version of the Outlook Calendar. So, at a first glance the Schedule component seems like a great solution for our problem. I see that there are no Sandbox nightly builds on the site so I'm using some old version from mid September I found on someone's computer...

The best thing you can do is just check out the sources from SVN, and build it yourself. Since the migration to maven this is really really simple :) You can apply the latest patch locally (get it from JIRA issue 1012) if it hasn't  been applied yet.

Before we rely on this component as a part of our product, we need to make sure:

  • Basic Functionality
    • The component enables users to view, schedule and remove items.
No problem, all you need to do is write an implementation of the ScheduleModel interface (or easier, extend the AbstractScheduleModel) that fetches items from your database, and optionally adds and removes items.
    • Can support 10-20 items in a week.
I have successfully tested it with 100+ items in a week
    • Supports concurrent items on the same time slot.
It does, in fact this is the reason I wrote the component, because I have seen no elegant solution for this elsewhere.  The rendering of overlapping items is the same as in Outlook or Evolution. Try the demo I would say :)
    • Supports IE and Firefox.
I have tested it on IE 6, Firefox 1 and 1.5, Opera 7 and 7.5 and Konqueror. It also appears to be working on Safari but since I don't have a Mac I haven't been able to test that myself.

  • Code Maturity
    • Stable and does not crash.
It's quite stable, and any bugs will be fixed in the coming 3 months, because at Ghent University we are about to start working on an application using it which must go in production by April 1st.
  • Customization
    • Supports changing of appearance, fonts, colors...
This was addressed in my last patch (1012). There are different ways to do this: write your own theme, override CSS classes using the xxxClass attributes, or writing your own ScheduleEntryRenderer implementation, or a combination of these.
    • Supports changing the code if we must.
It's open source, so you can do what you want with it.
  • Internationalization:
    • Supports changing date format.
Check
    • Supports changing time format.
Check
    • Support changing start-of-week day.
Not currently, although that shouldn't be too much trouble
    • Supports changing names of months, days, etc...
It uses the Java Locale mechanism

    • Supports entering non-English characters on the item text.
Depends on your database, and the encoding of your JSPs. I have tested it with Japanese...
  • Performance
    • Has reasonable response time.
Depends mostly on your database. The rendering is quite fast, as it uses CSS2 absolute positioning and very few tables.
  • Support
    • Is there someone who can help us if we have a problem?
If you have problems, just post a message on the mailing list, and I will answer as soon as I can.