We have also used tree2 successfully, with more or less similar requirements - but only for small trees  (<100 nodes)
In the near future we will also need tree for quite large amount of data (> 10 000 nodes).
Andrew, it would be very usefully, if you could share some of your knowledge of combining the tree2 and Ajax...
Or is there any known plans to add ajax support directly to the MyFaces tree2 component?
---VLi---