Our project started off using Suns Creator which is JSF-RI + a few
additional components. We quickly found
the MyFaces + Tomahawk provides a much better option and moved our entire
project suite (6 apps) over to it. I purposfully stayed away from ADF when
making a choice as it still belonged to Oracle and after spending 4 years
banging against stupid Oracle bugs in my previous company, I just didn't
trust their quality control (I'm glad to see its now open source). We did
look at Tobago but didn't want to replace the view controller and it seemed
to have a small developer group.

Here are a couple of key points to consider when making a selection:

[1] the learning curve is pretty steep in all JSF implementations and, in
some cases, the richer the component choice, the more learning needs to be
done and the less documentation is generally available.

[2] user-group support is *very* important. Both MyFaces and Sun have large
user bases and active user lists but perhaps its worth while spending a few
minutes browsing through the forums to get a feel for (a) the type of
problems user experience, (b) how helpful (and fast) is the user community
in reponding to questions, and (c) how reactive is the development team to
addressing Azissues?

My money is firmly on MyFaces -- great support, great components and a great
product.