Absolute path doesn't matter.  Dave is right.  If you have your css
files under a protected path, you can't access them until you log in.

Here are a few suggestions.

In your security descriptor, use file extension matching rather than
path.  Then, just don't match against 'css', 'jpg', and 'gif' files
(or 'png', 'jpeg', etc).  If you don't match these file extensions,
you should be able to access them.

If you use path matching, specify the *other* paths in your app.

As for the css, if you pull your login page through the jsp compilier,
you do a hard include of the css file..

<%@ include file="/somepath/your.css"%>