From: Jeff Bischoff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 11:07 AM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: accessing static fields and methods via EL

Madhav,

Well generally I make an accessor method in my managed bean when I need
to provide EL access to static fields like this. However, I have not
tried using this in combination with a Map, so I don't know if that will

complicate things for you.

Regards,

Jeff Bischoff
Kenneth L Kurz & Associates, Inc.

Madhav Bhargava wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> As per the documentation EL in its current form does not support
access
> to static fields and methods. I have a scenario for static field
usage:

> I have the following Map:
>
> Key - SomeClass.PUBLIC_STATIC_CONSTANT
>
> Value - Object
>

> Let us take an example:
>

> Address class -
>

> 2 public static constants are declared:
>

> 1. public static final String PRIMARY_ADDRESS = "primary_address";
>
> 2. public static final String SECONDARY_ADDRESS = "secondary_address";
>

> For a person a Map is maintained containing addresses. The key for
this
> map is either of the constants mentioned above. I could only find one
> way to access the city attribute of a primary address:
>
> #{someManagedBean.addresses['primary_address'].city} - I had to
provide
> the value stored against the constant field - which means hard coding,
> which in all means I wanted to avoid.
>

> I encountered a sourceforge project which extends the current EL -
> http://el-functors.sourceforge.net/
>

> Are there plans to make this an integral part of EL?
>

> Regards,
>
> madhav

solely for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original
message. Further, you are not to copy, disclose, or distribute this
e-mail or its contents to any other person and any such actions are
unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has taken every
reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any
damage you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You
should carry out your own virus checks before opening the e-mail or
attachment. Infosys reserves the right to monitor and review the content
of all messages sent to or from this e-mail address. Messages sent to or
from this e-mail address may be stored on the Infosys e-mail system.