I use standard j2ee security model. on tomcat jsbce realms works fine

when you want to know the username just

FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().getExternalContext().getUserPrincipal().getName()

and tomahawk components has a lot of visibleOnUserRole attribute that
allows you to forgot about permissions in your business code...