Hi Dan,

I'm not sure what the selectors for that component are off-hand but one
handy procedure I can share with you (what I frequently use to make sure I
am skinning things correctly) is to *temporarily* add the following
(unsupported) entry in my web.xml file:

<context-param>
<param-name>org.apache.myfaces.trinidadinternal.DISABLE_CONTENT_COMPRESSION
</param-name>
<param-value>true</param-value>
</context-param>

Then, I run my page using Firefox and the Firebug DOM inspector add-on:
(or use whatever your favorite DOM inspector tool/browser combo is)

and then inspect the DOM tree to see what the assigned "class" attributes
are.  So in your case, look for the element that contains the start side of
the tab.  It may show a class value of "af_navigationPaneTabs_top-start" or
something similar to that.  Once you know what that is, you can generally
deduce the skin selector from it, e.g. "af|navigationPaneTabs::top-start".

With that "disable" entry in your web.xml, you'll see the class values that
make sense to you, otherwise they'd show up as "x12" or something obfuscated
like that.

Really, the main issue here sounds like the docs for this component are not
accurate and need correcting.  Feel free to log a JIRA issue for this at:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRINIDAD

Hope this helps,
Matt