Hi,

as Simon adviced, I'm implementing the getXyz(FacesBean) methods now. In my
new OutputTextSkinnedRenderer (extending CoreOutputTextRenderer) this method
worked fine (if no tooltip is given, the value itself should be presented,
if a tooltip
is given, original tooltip and value should both she shown):

  @Override
  protected String getShortDesc(FacesBean bean)
  {
    String originalShortDesc = super.getShortDesc(bean);
    String shortDesc = null;
    String valueAsString = (String) getValue(bean);

    if (originalShortDesc != null && originalShortDesc.length() > 0)
    {
      shortDesc = originalShortDesc + " - Field value: " + valueAsString;
    }
    else
    {
      shortDesc = valueAsString;
    }

    return shortDesc;
  }

The same method also works fine in OutputTextExtRenderer (extends
OutputTextRenderer).

A similar method (with slight variations as there seems to be no
getValue(FacesBean)
neither in InputTextRenderer nor in the rest of the hierarchy) in
InputTextExtRenderer (extends InputTextRenderer) doesn't lead to the desired
result.

If a shortDesc is defined, only this and not the concatenated form is
presented as tooltip.
The method itself still seems to function properly, but I got the
impression, that afterwards
something else is called, which then resets the shortDesc to "just the
shortDesc" :-O

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Carsten

Carsten Pieper wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the valued advice, Simon and Martin,
>
> so I'll have a go at Simon's recommendation. Just a question concerning
> your remarks
> to my approach with pushing things into the bean: Would that approach be
> OK,
> if I'd tidied everything up? Something like the following (in my
> overwritten encodeAll(...)):
>
> // storing old bean values, altering bean values...
>
> super.encodeAll(context, arc, component, bean);
>
> // restoring old bean values
>
> Well, this (incl. tidying up)  is how I've been showed to do this but
> probably I've been a little
> careless as I've never made use of these onkeyxxx properties ...
>
> Best regards,
> Carsten
>

> Martin Marinschek wrote:
>>
>> Just as added information: what Simon says holds true also for
>> standard JSF (non-Trinidad components)...
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On 8/13/07, Simon Lessard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Hello again,
>>>
>>> I forgot to mention another issue with pushing values in the FacesBean
>>> inside renderer code. Assume that your styleClass attribute is set to an
>>> EL.
>>> If the EL returns "readOnly" during a rendering, you're going to alter
>>> the
>>> component attributes permanently and the JavaScript events will continue
>>> return false even if the styleClass is no longer "readOnly" for further
>>> requests.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> ~ Simon

>>> do
>>> so. Instead, you should override the various getXyz(FacesBean) method of
>>> the
>>> renderer. This will ensure that you safely overhaul all properties