I see. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think the examples are easier to understand.

Matt Cooper wrote:
Hi Jeanne,

To folks that are not CSS and skinning experts, it is not always clear what this means:

"[-tr-inhibit] is used to inhibit/reset css properties that you are inheriting from a base skin"

I've seen someone use:

af|panelGroupLayout {
  font-size: 18pt;
}
af|commandButton {
  -tr-inhibit: font-size;
}

and expect the button's font size to be the browser default, thinking that since it inherits the font-size from the panelGroupLayout, putting the inhibit statement in the commandButton will take care of it.

Also it isn't clear what will happen if the skins look like this:

/* definitions in the base skin */
af|commandButton.foo {
  font-size: 18pt;
}
.bar af|commandButton {
  font-size: 24pt;
}

/* definition in the extended skin */
af|commandButton {
  -tr-inhibit: font-size;
}

I think the docs explain the differences between "padding" and "padding-right" clearly but perhaps the inheriting aspect of what gets inhibited could be clearer.

I was thinking that the docs should say something along the lines of this:
"The inhibitions are server-side only, any styles that get applied based on cascading rules in the browser will not be inhibited."
However, if examples are easier to understand (as seen above), then let's put them in.

Thanks,
Matt