I got it to work, but it is very ugly and a really bad hack:

CSS:
.hoverTable TBODY > TR > TD > TABLE > TBODY > TR > TD {
  background-color: transparent;
}
.hoverTable TBODY > TR > TD > TABLE > TBODY > TR:hover {
  background-color: yellow;
}

XHTML:
  styleClass="hoverTable">
    #{_cookie.name}
    #{_cookie.value}

It would be great to get skinning class support on every element
written by any of the Trinidad renderers.

Maybe one of the skin experts can shed some light and a better solution.

-Andrew