Thank you for all your tips!

Andrew, your solution might work, but as you put it, it is highly dependent
on the rendered html, which means any change in the hierarchy will make it
stop working.

As for Simon, your solution:

af|table::content tr:hover
{
  background-color: yellow;
}

Doesn't work, because I'm using banding.

However if I add

af|column::cell-text{-tr-inhibit: background-color}

af|column::cell-text-band{-tr-inhibit: background-color}

like Chris suggested, it works fine for the hover, but I lose banding.

Is there a way to get hover AND banding together?