Hi!
> The Orchestra installation page has a tantalizing sentence:  "The
> installation guide will show you how to setup a JPA entity manager
> ..., later a chapter explaining how to access Hibernate directly will
> be added."
Yep, we use it here with a completely custom way of how to get in touch
to the session.

> It seems that having a HibernatePersistenceContextFactory, an analog
> of JpaPersistenceContextFactory, might go a long ways.  I Googled for
> that and found such a class on Mario's blog.  I dropped that in to my
> trivial app and adjusted the related objects but the first database
> access fails with "Session is closed!"
Hmmm ... thats strange, could you please try to add a breakpoint in
HibernatePersistenceContextFactory at the close() method (statement:
em.close();)

You just have to ensure, that no one else closes the session you bound
in the PersistenceContextFactory.

Do you use the Spring hibernate templates?
If you're still out of luck, could you please provide me a link to
download your mini application to reproduce the problem.

Here we do not even use the Spring templates but your own way of how to
get access to the session opened in the PersistenceContextFactory.
In fact we just allocate a session container in the
PersistenceContextFactory and add the sessions required "on demand".
Ok - thats another story.

I am pretty sure we'll find a solution.

Ciao,
Mario