From: Simon Lessard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MyFaces Discussion <users@myfaces.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 6:17:12 PM
Subject: Re: What has to be considered in the web development environment
(advaced query)?

Depends on the project. The current project I'm on does not requires
authentication, so my environment looks just like what you said, more
specifically, I currently use:

IDE

JDeveloper 11g Technical preview for our dev version
JDeveloper 10.1.3 the maintenance version

SVN
Tortoise + JDeveloper (I highly prefer Tortoise though)

Browser
Firefox with Firebug and Tamperdata (a must, losing Firebug represents a huge
drop in productivity when dealing with new components and styling. JavaScript
debugger is not bad either. Tamper is a bit more advanced and rarely needed,
but when you want to see what goes in and out of the browser it's really nice.
Ethereal works as well, but that's a huge overkill for that kind of simple use)

MS IE 7 (mandatory because of end users since the application has to work on it)

AS / Container
Embedded OC4J in JDeveloper;
Oracle AS 10g for graduation in various environments (development, integration,
acceptation, production, etc.). We have remote access to those for deployments,
except production obviously;

Tomcat (I rarely use it, but for simple applications it's faster/easier to
deploy on Tomcat than standalone OC4J imho)

Database
Oracle, located on remote server, having a local one is also an option though.

Utility applications
UltraEdit - For text editing, I think it worth every penny, as it's way faster
than all IDE with big files (such as XML, there's no auto complete though);

Toad - If you requires a lot of SQL script execution. Using SQL*Plus in
combination with JDeveloper isn't bad, and certainly cheaper;
GIMP 2 - For image editing since I'm not a in charge of making the final
images, your page designer will probably need Photoshop though;

MyEclipse - To look/edit Trinidad/MyFaces code, Eclipse works fine too;
Maven - See above;
Acrobat reader - Well I guess you already had that one, but it's needed to read
the spec;
7-zip - Screw WinZip, 7-Zip is open source, reads more formats and makes
smaller archives.

Don't have content management server in my current project, it's not a portlet
project either, nor LDAP. That being said, you can indeed access LDAP with many
frameworks, but the LDAP directory itself must run somewhere if you want to use
it.

Regards,

~ Simon

On 9/17/07, distillingweb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
Hello Simon,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Would you mind to share how your
environment looks like?

My understand is that for LDAP, for example, I could get from my middle tier
feature framework (Spring in our case). Content

managment system is also a good option.

Thanks a lot for now.