Hi!
>        I have access to FacesContext. The ExternalContext in case of Portlet
> Environment is - PortletExternalContextImpl and ofcourse in servlet
> environment it is ServletExternalContextImpl.

So then, could you please try the following in your method:

FrameworkAdapter.setCurrentInstance(new JsfFrameworkAdapter(null));

If it works then, I think it might be possible to fix this issue in a
portlet friendly way, I've discussed with Simon already about moving
initialization from the filter into the FacesContextFactory which
obviously has been called even in the portlet environment.

Ciao,
Mario