Henry,
This is how I put a link to an external stylesheet in my .jspx files

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1'?>
<jsp:root xmlns:jsp="http://java.sun.com/JSP/Page"; version="2.0"
          xmlns:h="http://java.sun.com/jsf/html";
          xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core";
          xmlns:c="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core";
          xmlns:trh="http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/html";
          xmlns:tr="http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad";>
  <jsp:directive.page contentType="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"/>
  <f:view>
    <f:verbatim>
      <link rel="stylesheet" href="Path to CSS file"/>
    </f:verbatim>
.
.
.