The source code for Orchestra provided the answer I was looking for. It
looks like a lock is acquired on the conversationcontext object
corresponding to the request before accessing any of the beans inside of a
conversation. So the execution of two requests in the same
conversationcontext will not happen concurrently, which mean beans in a
conversation (access) scope do no, in general, need to be thread safe.
Explicit documentation of this will probably be useful.

-Jacob