The current facelets distributions contains a portlet demo that includes the source for FaceletPortletViewHandler.java. This is currently the best place to start. I have a version that I believe improves on this that I put together for a recent workshop -- basically similar to the above but it includes checks (that have no runtime dependencies on the portlet api) to see if we are running in a portlet request and delegates otherwise. I.e. its designed to work properly if the app is accessed both directly via the web or from a portal AND even if deployed in a web only installation -- no portlet container present. I hope to get this later version online at some point when I can package this workshop as an online tutorial .... but other higher priorities at the moment. I would of course be happy to send this source to anyone who wants it.
   -Mike-