hi tom,

some additions:

first of all: thx for your questions. such questions allow us to improve the
documentation!
(+ usually there is a simple solution provided by extval and you don't have
to care about such extval internals.)

@renderer interceptors:
the concept allows extval to do all the magic it offers. however, usually
it's an internal concept.
you just need it e.g. for add-ons (the label support you would like to
implement is such an add-on)

*...@meta-data transformers*
if you have custom constraints, you normally impl. a meta-data transformer
for each annotation you would like to use for component initialization.
*and that's it.*
*
*
*(in case of bv it's a bit more difficult - e.g.: you have to care about
group validation, composite constraints,...).*
*
*
you can transform information provided by concrete meta-data to a generic
representation.
e.g. @Size (bv) and @Length (extval) provide the same information. so you
just have to impl. a transformer e.g. for @Size which extracts the
information.
as soon as you forward the extracted information to extval, the framework
does the rest (if it knows how to handle the provided information). so you
don't have to care about all the other details and internals.

@component initialization (i just use trinidad as concrete example):
you just have to impl. a component initializer e.g. for your component lib
if
 - you have (input) components which provide special features and the
components aren't supported by extval (or an extval-add-on).
 - you have a new type of meta-data (e.g. if you would like to add a
client-side validator for validating @EMail)

e.g. trinidad offers client-side validation. so the optional trinidad module
of extval uses the information provided by the transformers to add
client-side validators and to set properties of the trinidad components. so
trinidad isn't aware of extal. it just gets plain (initialized) trinidad
components. the trinidad support module isn't aware of a concrete annotation
like @Length - it just knows that there is a generic representation to
express e.g. min and max length (independent of the used constraint). -> you
get client-side validation based on constraints and support modules like the
trinidad module aren't aware of the concrete annotations. so you can impl.
your custom constraints or use bv constraints,... - as soon as you transform
the provided information to a known (generic) format, extval is able to use
the information to prepare the components for the rendering process.
(+ there are further possibilities which depend on the concrete
company/projects.)

@your suggestion:
as you see - you don't have to use all mechanisms provided by extval - your
impl. also works. the only downside is that you have to support features
like group validation, composite constraints, validation payload,... on your
own (+ the impl. depends on a bv constraint - so we can't use it as generic
add-on).

if you impl. it based on my example (just without trinidad), you could reuse
all features provided by extval and you don't have to care about mechanisms
like group-validation,... - you can delegate such tasks to extval.

additional hint:
the trinidad support module autom. activates initialization of the required
attribute [1] (by default initialization of the required attribute is
deactivated) -> if you use my suggestion without trinidad, you also have to
activate the initialization of the required attribute in the startup
listener.

regards,
gerhard

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/extensions/validator/trunk/component-support/trinidad-support/src/main/java/org/apache/myfaces/extensions/validator/trinidad/startup/TrinidadModuleStartupListener.java

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German