Paul, I think there is a number of issues with what you are doing
here.  As you probably know, TRINIDAD's ajax is not 'solely' about
content delivery.  It runs the JSF lifecycyle and updates the view
state and a bunch of other things.  While I don't know exactly why
it's failing, I'm not surprised it is.

I'm wondering if you couldn't do the same thing your trying to
accomplish usig JQuery by using Trinidad's Ajax instead.

Sent from my iPhone