Hi!

Something I did sometimes is to use an explicit request parameter combined with
<f:validateBean> :

<f:validateBean disabled="#{!empty param['check']}">
 .... your stuff

and the button looks like the following:

<h:commandButton id="personAddBtn" action="#{searchForm.startSearch()}"
value="#{amsg.searchPerson}">
    <f:param name="check" value="false"/>
</h:commandButton>

The reason I don't use immediate=true is that this would skip the 'update
model' step, thus I would loose all the values entered in the fields.
With my solution, it just passes the values, sets it into the model but does no
validation so far. Of course, on the 'save' button it will be validated.
Please note that this only works when you have some 'stateful' backing beans,
e.g CDI (see MyFaces CODI) @SessionScoped, @WindowScoped, @ConversationScoped
or similar Spring contexts (e.g. MyFaces Orchestra Conversations).

LieGrue,
strub