Very interesting, Karl, and thanks for the clarification!

+1 at the responses on this thread. They interested me, because for
security implementation in my app is

- 15 minutes session expiration (web.xml)
- meta refresh tag in <head> tag that redirects page to view expired 'page'
(got that concept/code from BalusC on stackoverflow.com)

but some months ago, an enduser requested a 'keep-alive session'
requirement on a page that will 'not' end his session while he using the
'payroll' page to do his work. He did not want to have to keep logging in,
and having to make filter selection via p:calendar begin/end dates of
payroll period, and then scroll down to job/employee that was last marked
as paid. So, i found some keep-alive-session code (by BalusC on
stackoverflow.com) and refactored app/page a bit to keep the session alive
until he logs out of the app or until he navigates to another page.

well, now that you all are talking about this, this reminds me of a recent
discussion on tomcat list about (re)designing webapp to allow enduser to
login and resume his work. I like that concept, and that might be the best
approach to address 'security concerns'. There would be no need to p:poll,
p:push, etc... just to keep the session alive or to push a message to
client to 'end' the session and logout user (sometime ago, i developed some
p:push + java bean code that did that, but not using that implementation in
the app).

polling to keep session alive seems to be the easiest way to 'satisfy' the
enduser, but definitely not the most-secure, as you said earlier. this
discussion may motivate me to refactor my app a bit, accordingly. thank you
all!