Karl, you could look at PrimeFaces requestContext implementation (source
code).

also, you can maybe ask for something like this to be added as a feature
request in MYFACES JIRA.

Is there any reason why you prefer not to use PrimeFaces requestContext or
the similar feature that is available in OmniFaces library?