Having an "init" method called once at the beginning is the purpose of
@PostConstruct.

I may not use the right words, but the @PostConstruct method will be called
only once, when the bean is instantiated, even if navigation triggers
serialization and multiple objects are instantiated.

It will work this way independently of using @ManagedBean or @Named.

I bumped my head in walls and trees when I had exactly your problem... :)

@+!