On Wed, 10 Jan 2018, 21:25 Chuck Davis, <cjgun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest going to Oracle and getting the jdk.  Perhaps some of the
> experts here will recognize Oracle installs differently on Ubuntu than it
> does on an rpm based system???

That's the standard install location on Ubuntu / Debian derivatives as far
as I know. Partly about supporting the alternatives system.

NetBeans runs fine with OpenJDK 8 on Ubuntu. I've not used it with an
Oracle JDK for many years.

Something weird about needing to set jdkhome from the JRE though. Was the
JDK not installed when NetBeans was installed? I'd be tempted to uninstall
all JDKs and NetBeans, reinstall OpenJDK8, then reinstall NetBeans.

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith