From: Lars Bruun-Hansen <lbruunhan...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 14, 2019 6:31 AM
To: Geertjan Wielenga <geert...@apache.org>
Cc: Ed Sowell <jag_man...@sbcglobal.net>; us...@netbeans.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: NB 8.2 Freezing

Hi Ed,

In case of a freeze the most revealing information we can obtain is a Thread
Dump.

How to get a Thread Dump:

(assuming you are on Windows)

- Open a command window (cmd.exe) and start NetBeans IDE from the command
window. (by executing "C:\Program Files\NetBeans 8.2\bin\netbeans64.exe"  .. or
as appropriate for your version of NetBeans and your install directory). Now
work as normal with the IDE, until the freeze happens.
- Press Ctrl-Break in the console window.
- There will now be a thread dump in the console window. Copy all of that text
into a text file.
- Post here.

Unfortunately, while I know of several methods to obtain a Thread Dump from a
running Java application this is the only one I know of which will actually
work when a true freeze occurs. The method requires that you have a command
window from where you can send the Ctrl-Break instruction. Hence, you need to
start from a command prompt, not the Start Menu of Desktop shortcut.

/Lars